ADVANCED WORKSHOP SCHEDULE: Pensacola, Florida April 23-28, 2012
36 Hour Architectural Ceramics Advanced Intensive Workshop
Everyone leaves this workshop with absolute knowledge and confidence in their building abilities.
Monday* 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Overview: StoneHaus Peter King and Xinia Marin work
• Overview: Introduction to workshop Public Art Project
• Discussion: Clay Bodies
• Discussion: Calculate Wet to Dry Clay Shrinkage
• Discussion/Demonstration: Scale-up from Drawing to Full-size Template
• Demonstrations will take place as project requires.
• Begin construction of large, full-scale architectural piece by laying out the base slab. Public Art Piece to be built for this unique workshop.
Tuesday* 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Morning discussion about Public Art and proposal process.
• Work on Piece and demonstrate as we go. Everyone in this workshop gets involved with clay completely. Bring your work clothes.
At 7:00 p.m. we regroup at the studio for a pizza party and participants slide show. Please bring images on jump/thumb drive or cd/dvd to share with group!
Wednesday* 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Slide show of the construction of the largest single work ever undertaken by this studio. This show covers the entire process of the creation of the entry gates for Annmarie Gardens, Solomans Island, MD.
• Discussion pertaining to all phases of a large scale public art project.
• Kiln Repair. We will take a couple of actual kilns in need of repair and repair them as a group. Materials will be provided for each student to take home for future reference.
Thursday* 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Discussion: Slide Show Peter constructs tailored to cover specific questions that have arisen during the current workshop
• Work continues on large scale piece. The goal is to complete this project during this workshop.
Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Discussion: Miscellaneous Topics which have emerged during the workshop
• Detail and Section Architectural Project
• Discussion: Business aspects of Architectural Ceramics
We regroup at 7:00pm at a place to be determined for a dinner party to celebrate the workshop.
Saturday 9 a.m. to Completion?
• Afternoon: Caravan Tour of a variety of installed works in the local area. These will be mostly public art type of works. We will also include a few works never seen before during any recent workshops.
*The exact day of some of the demos may change based on the tempo and rhythm of the workshop. Depending on the project being built and the location of the workshop some demonstrations will not be possible, however we make all possible attempts to insure you learn what you have come to learn. If you have specific things you want to know you can contact the workshop host/director to insure certain demos will be made possible.
Students should bring digital images of their work to share with participants on Pizza Party Night. Generally party takes place Tuesday evening. Please limit to 20 images.
LIMITED SEATING Register Today!
Special notes about this unique workshop.
Students are welcome to work and or hang out after teaching phases are complete.
The cost of this workshop is $850.00 and we feel it will fill very quickly so reserve your space ASAP.
You can send a check or money order for $425.00 or complete balance of $850.00 payable to:
2617 N. 12th Ave
Pensacola, Florida 32503
Or you can pay online via PayPal, however we prefer the old fashioned way via check or money order.
Let me know if you need anything else regarding this opportunity.